Number Of Healthcare Mobile Apps
Today, 318,000 apps in the Apple iTunes and Google Play Store are there for mobile healthcare. A few years ago, the situation was different, as the adoption rate was slow for patients and doctors alike. However, the usage and adoption numbers have doubled in the last 2 years. In fact, it is anticipated to grow at a blinding rate.
Financial Growth In Healthcare App Industry
The mobile healthcare market was estimated at approximately USD 8.0 billion in 2018. It will bring around USD 111.1 billion, at a CAGR of about 38.26% between 2019 and 2025. Since the trends are changing and everything seems favorable, it is growing at a faster rate, and this is definitely due to the increased adoption rate of healthcare in most developing countries.
Why Doctors Love Healthcare Mobile Apps
Doctors worldwide view mobile healthcare apps as one their most significant asset, as it helps them in doing their jobs better. Take a look at the key pointers below:
- “Mobile healthcare apps that empower patients to self assess chronic diseases early”
- “49% of physicians in the survey use their mobile healthcare apps daily.”
- “83% of healthcare professionals think that mobile healthcare apps help increase their knowledge of patients’ conditions.”
Healthcare Mobile App Categories
The first and foremost advantage of mobile healthcare apps is that it helps in monitoring patients remotely. Many healthcare professionals and organizations show great interest in developing a mobile application as it allows them to better interact with their patients on the go and also increases the working performance of their clinics. The pie-chart here is a representation of the different sub-sectors that healthcare apps address:
Healthcare Mobile App Revenue Stream
The mobile healthcare app industry is growing more aggressively, as app publishers search multiple revenue stream models to improve the Return On Investment.
- Mobile Healthcare Service: Giving monitoring services/remote consultation for a fee.
- Mobile Healthcare Connectivity Device: Selling of devices connecting with the app to evaluate the signs or diagnose symptoms as pre-defined by the developer.
- Mobile Healthcare Transaction Services: Revenue generation through the sales of healthcare-related products, such as drugs, sanitary products, etc
- App store downloads – Paid downloads and in-app purchases
- Advertisements – Revenue generated by displaying in-app advertisements
Top Healthcare Mobile Apps Ruling The Market
Fitness apps are the most popular in the healthcare app category. Given the fact that the market is evolving and growing at a rapid rate, analysts foretell that with unique technology and services offered, users will take to other healthcare apps as well.
Top 5 Healthcare Apps In the Market:
1. Runtastic 2. Nike, inc 3. MyFitnessPal.com 4. FitBitInc 5. Azumio
If you assume that the healthcare industry was the least targeted by hackers?
Here are some of the facts that might jolt you up!
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) is a set of guidelines laid down to protect patient data. If your mobile app deals with protected health information (PHI), then HIPAA compliance is mandatory. The reason for this:
- You can stop worrying about legal issues
- Take ownership in safeguarding your user’s sensitive data
- Win your user’s trust and enhance the app adoption rate
Does Your App Need To Be HIPAA Compliant?
A healthcare app needs to be HIPAA compliant if it has/does any of the below-mentioned tasks:
- Transfer a patient’s protected health information (PHI) between devices or even store them in an external server.
- Provides access to third-party organizations or business to utilize sensitive data
- Business associates who might make use of the protected health information PHI for legal or insurance purposes.
Types Of Non-HIPAA Compliant Apps
The healthcare app does not need to be HIPAA compliant if:
- The app records or monitors your body vitals and stores them
- Gives data related to medical references and diseases symptoms
- Fitness apps that help users maintain weight by telling them what to eat and how to exercise
How Much Does A Healthcare App Cost?
For safety and HIPAA guideline concerns, mobile healthcare apps require a lot of attention and development time. Check out a brief overview of what you can expect a mobile healthcare app will cost.
Healthcare App Pricing
With a whole load of players coming on to the stage, it is challenging to put a price tag on it. Keeping this in mind, we have drawn a sample pricing model to help you evaluate how to budget for a mobile healthcare app.
Healthcare Mobile App Cost Model
|Healthcare Mobile App Feature||Approximate Cost|
|The mobile app design and wireframe||$35k|
|Integrating in-app services||$3k|
|In-app store to sell device/products||$3k|
|Paid downloads app||$2k|
|HIPAA Compliance (Additional security)||$8k|
|Provide audio/video call option||$5k|
Choosing the Right Healthcare Mobile App Developer
Last but not least, identifying the best app developer is crucial for your achievement. FDA has penalized many app developing companies for placing users at risk. At Innoppl, we understand the importance of your project; that’s the main reason we have trained healthcare app developers who put the user’s first before developing and launching the product.