Read Time: 2 min, 34 sec
Enterprise mobile apps are gaining momentum by the day with more and more businesses realizing the benevolence of mobility. Diverse businesses are looking to create mobile apps that could benefit them in various ways. Along with the growth in mobile app development, the risks involved in it also have increased greatly. Some of the mobile security solutions providers have attempted to address common security issues pertaining to enterprise mobile solutions. However, there is no fool proof system that can completely eliminate vulnerabilities and attack risks as yet. Understanding the vulnerabilities and the security risks involved in mobile enterprise apps will reveal you the seriousness of the situation and enable you to lower the chances of vulnerability and attack risks.
The first scenario is the loss of mobile device. If the mobile device is lost, it will not only lead to reduction in productivity but also loss of vital data.
- The several connectivity options of mobile devices increase the attack risks greatly. There is a possibility of impersonation and subsequently fraudulent use of data.
- There is a possibility of data interception and eavesdropping that could affect the profitability of the business.
- The probability of malicious software attempting to corrupt or steal data is high as mobile hacking is on the raise.
- Vulnerability caused by obsolete apps still working in the mobile device can be highly risky.
Implementing security at device, application, and network levels will ensure maximum protection from vulnerability and attack risks. Possible counteractions to curb the security risks in mobile apps at the developmental stage include the following:
Strong authentication and authorization, such as User IDs and other forms of user input, form the basic defense tactic in making mobile apps secure.
- Creating a whitelist of applications can prevent malicious codes from unknown apps tampering the system.
- Implementing transport layer security (TLS) ensures privacy during communication and thus prevents loss of data from eavesdropping by authenticating messages.
- Encrypting data as they are being written to memory and decrypting on retrieval will enhances the security in mobile apps.
- By sandboxing unknown apps, it is possible to avoid attack risks from malicious software present in them.
- Access to application on per API level can ensure mobile security.
- Making user input compulsory for privileged access is one other way of restricting unauthorized users from digging deep.
If you are planning to develop enterprise mobile app for your business, make sure if the developer has implemented all of the security measures mentioned above. It is also a good idea to install off-the-shelf enterprise mobile security solutions of reputed brands in the mobile device. However, be informed that security in the mobile apps arena is a relative term and there is no fail-safe method to make any mobile apps invincible.